Looking for a quality trolling/casting reel for large tuna?
…definitely look at a Okuma Makaira.
…here the best recommendation on any fishing tackle….look at what charter boats stock. It’s a no-brainer.
Many charter boats are using Okuma Makaira rods and reels for their larger fishing tackle. This setup is perfect for the larger species of big game fish like Yellowfin and Bluefin tuna. Okuma makes some of the best rods and reels. They are built like a tank.
Here’s a video of a 13 day charter boat trip for Yellowfin Tuna. Most of the heavier rods and reels are Okuma Makaira.
If you are interested in Okuma fishing tackle, here is a link to shop….Shop Now at Amazon.com
Okuma Makaira Trolling Reel Features (model MK-50ii)
- 6061-T6 Machined aluminum frame with forged side plates
- Proprietary hybrid corrosion resistant stainless steel gearing
- Carbonite Dual Force drag system featuring Cal’s universal drag grease
- Custom designed thrust bearing: Alleviates side load on heavy drag settings
- Gear Ratio-3.2:1 and 1.3:1
- Weighs 65 oz
- Line retrieve-37.8″ and 15.3″
- 60lbs drag at Strike and 85lbs at Full
- Line Capacity: 780 yards of 60 lb mono
Okuma Makaira trolling reels are a safe bet for large 300+ lb tuna. They are well made and heavy duty. You know it’s reliable and tough if charter boat captains are using them. It’s the best recommendation possible. Charter boats don’t want or have time to be fixing broken fishing tackle. They won’t do it. They only buy the best tackle.